The COVID-19 World
We live in a locked down world right now. The direct damages of the virus aside, economies are crashing, businesses are shutting down, people are losing jobs, many are going homeless and hungry, and the effects of this pandemic will last for a long time to come. This COVID-19 crisis has also inspired so many necessary tech innovations around the world. Knowing the tech community, especially our JomHack community has more to offer, we bring you HACK2HELP. Join us to build something that matters within 48 hours!
Problems To Solve
Some of the themes for you to work on. You can either pick one of these or build anything you think is necessary to make this world a better place.
Health & Safety
Make this world safer for people to move around, or help frontliners improve their work.
Help SMEs go digital, or pivot their businesses to become more relevant in order to keep generating revenue.
Help to create new jobs, increase access to available jobs or help people to retain their existing ones.
Help ensure there's enough food for everyone and reduce wastage in any way, from the farm to the table.
Help the underserved community navigate through this crisis and have better access to all things essential.
Help everyone get better access to education, both formal and informal. Existing tools may not be enough.
What's In It For You?
While discovering new solutions is great, creating opportunities to implement these solutions or to turn it into a business is equally important. Here are some of the many benefits of joining this hackathon.
We always aim to attract great talents who are passionate about hacking but giving cash prizes make it better.
This may help kickstart your next startup adventure, together with our corporate or government partners.
Crisis or not, many of our corporate partners are still hiring talents. There could be a great job for you.
How Does it Work?
We know most of you are used to attending hackahon events, but here is how our Virtual Hackathon will work.
Register as a Team or Individual on our Peatix page. All participants will compete in the same track.
Registered participants will receive the Kickoff Kit on 12th June with the full details and brief to start hacking.
Participants will Demo their hacks to our panel of judges on 14th June via online video conferencing platforms.
RM2,000 for 1st Prize
RM1,000 for 2nd Prize
RM500 for 3rd Prize
Our Community Partners
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I sign up? - You need to purchase an Event Pass on our Peatix event page.
- Do I need a team? - Great if you do, but you can also join as an Individual as long as you can code.
- I’m not a coder. Can I join? - You can as a Team, but make sure you have at least 1 coder in your team so that you can build and submit a working prototype.
- Why is there a Registration Fee? - This is a wholly community-run event, therefore we're crowdfunding the cash prizes for this event. We do not have any corporate sponsors. If we do secure any sponsors soon, the prize pool may increase.
- What do we need to hack? - You’re required to build a useful solution to help the world survive the COVID-19 world.
- Where can I learn more about this? - We will brief all registered participants in the Kickoff Kit.
- How long is the Hackathon? - This Virtual Hackathon begins on Friday, 12th June at 12.00pm and ends on Sunday, 14th June at 12.00pm.
- What is the judging criteria? - We want to see highly creative solutions which will benefit the target audience. We want to see innovation, originality, good design and also evaluate the technical ability of the team members.
- Do I need to be in KL? - No, this is a Virtual event so you can be anywhere in Malaysia.
- Will you provide food? - No, this is a Virtual event so you get your own food.
- How do we present our work? - All teams will be required to demo a working prototype to our judges. We do not accept mockups on presentation decks.
- Is this event open to non-Malaysians? - Yes, as long as you have a valid PR or work/student permit.
- I need more info, who do I talk to? - You can contact us at https://www.facebook.com/jomhackmy/ or e-mail us at [email protected]
Terms & Conditions
- All participants must be 18 years old and above.
- You can participate as an Individual or Team (max 5 pax). The Individual must be a coder or each Team must have at least 1 coder, to build a working prototype.
- All participating Individuals and Teams will be required to pay a registration fee. The registration fee is RM50 per Individual and RM100 per Team.
- All participants will receive the Kickoff Kit on the 12th of June at 12pm to start hacking.
- All participants must start coding fresh during the event. You’re not allowed to pre-code anything or work on existing projects. You’re allowed to work with open source resources that are publicly available.
- You’re allowed to develop your solution on any programming language.
- Winners may be subjected to a code-review during or after the event if there are any disputes.
- All Intellectual Property rights to designs and codes developed at this event are wholly owned by the participants, but the organizers may opt to acquire, invest or help to accelerate the winning ideas.
- This event is open to both Malaysians and non-Malaysians, as long as you have a valid Malaysian PR or work/student permit.
- All projects must be completed within the 48-hour hacking period and a working prototype has to be presented to the judges.
- All mentorship sessions and Final demo will de done via video conferencing platforms.
- The Cash prizes are; 1st place – RM2,000, 2nd place - RM1,000 and 3rd place - RM500.
- All the judges decisions are final.
- Any screen recording taken during the event will be used by JomHack Malaysia to promote future events. Images may be used in press releases, printed publicity and digital marketing platforms.
- We reserve the rights to postpone or cancel the event without prior notice. In the event that this hackathon is postponed or cancelled, the announcement shall be posted on this website immediately. You agree to access this website at regular time intervals to view the T&Cs and ensure to be kept up-to-date on any change or variation to the T&Cs.
- We reserve the right to change these terms and conditions or at any time without prior notice. In the event that any changes are made, the revised terms and conditions shall be posted on this website immediately. Please check the latest information posted herein to inform yourself of any changes.
- For more info, contact us at https://www.facebook.com/jomhackmy/ or e-mail us at [email protected]
Do You Have Questions?
If you have further enquiries about this event, feel free to contacts us via this enquiry form or reach us on Facebook.